Replace Termite Eaten Keybed

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:08:10 -0600

>I know I probably ask too many questions, but I have a 1920s small Knabe
>grand in my shop. It was at a local hospital ready to fall over on someone
>so they had me take it. I told them I would give them an estimate to repair
>the legs. I see now that the piano will definately need a complete new
>keybed, if not more. Both ends of the bed are like a dried up sponge. If I
>was feeling real aggressive, I could likely remove the keybed without any
>tools. I was thinking at least 20 hours labor plus materials. Maybe more if
>the case is significantly damaged. Anyone have a little input?
>
>I realize also, that they may decide to just trash the piano.
>
>Terry Farrell

He's quoting himself in new posting/repeat/reply queries. I recognize this
as desperation (experience - plain and simple). While I haven't yet had to
replace a keybed, the 20 hours figure plus materials strikes me as a
realistic start. Actually, the second one would probably be a fifteen hour
job, with the first being a 30+ hour educational experience, so the 20 hour
estimate will probably serve to nearly break even on heating the shop after
rendering the appropriate sacrifice to the Gods of continuing education. In
other words, the first one will eat your lunch, but you will be gloriously
overqualified by the first experience, if a second ever comes along.

I know this doesn't really help, but it's the best I've got to offer.

Ron N