Down-Bearing NICKED A NERVE!

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:37:55 EST

Dale:
Sorry I wasn't the first in line to answer that question. Since flat
describes a condition which (for a lot of reasons as well as impedance) is
not part of what we think of in a soundboard, and crown describes the
reverse(no pun intended), where on earth is the confusion. Oh, I see, new
strings will solve the problem, no-no, moving the plate up and down will sort
it all out. It has struck me for years now (and I am biased toward the ease
with which fine new boards can be installed, and bridges recapped with new
pinning which is in some cases significantly better than the original, even
on SW) that we are allowing a myth to exist in the face of much new and not
so new, but still compelling, knowledge about soundboards, how they work,
care and feeding, and what to do when you measure a soundboard as flat, in
the hope that someone out there actually knows how to measure crown (and with
the release of the Journal CD from PTG no-one can claim ignorance anymore or
whine that they can't find information on this). If in doubt, find the best
rebuilder you can who works with new and old boards, and pay for the
consultation; it will save you a great deal of grief. So much for run-on
sentences and other grammatical fouls. Thank you for getting there before me.
Paul Revenko-Jones