Down-Bearing for Old Board /AND YET MORE!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:33:49 -0500

Forgive me. One more question. This one encompases the whole jist of the
matter: Why do this (pre-compress the board)? Is it strictly to "get a feel"
for how the board is going to react to loading via string pressure? It seems
apparent that we are making some pretty big assumptions here regarding how
much pressure we are in fact putting on the board with our wedging
technique. But I suppose this is just something that one gets the "feel for"
and after a few times learns that tapping "just so much" with "just
such-and-such a wedge", yadda, yadda, yadda, it becomes a useful tool in
determining how much downbearing to put on a piano.

I think I understand now why Andre Bolduc says: "Oh, no, no, no, don't
pre-compress the board. Use these numbers with my board and you will have
good downbearing." He builds his boards the same way each time with the same
materials, and just has the experience to know that certain downbearing
amounts at various locations across the board will result in proper
downbearing on his boards. But I can see that when dealing with unknown
aspects of a board, new rib design, new/variable wood source, or an old
board, the pre-stressing evaluation can provide some good insight.

When I first heard Andre say that I thought - yea, yea, yea, everyone does
seems to do the same task differently in this business - sometimes without
apparent rhyme or reason. But I think what we have here is a case where the
more unknowns you have, the more you may want to look at it from more than
one angle. And John Hartman may do the pre-stress thing each time on each
board he installs (I'm not sure whether he does or not), but if he finds
that he gets good results from doing it that way, then he is obviously doing
it the right way - for him!

Oh, and like Ron N., I can't let a lie go on. I went out to my shop, took
out the plate and counted only eight full length shims - most being about
3/8" wide - and a few shorter ones (maybe it seemed like 83 because it was
the second time I shimmed the board - the first time was two years ago by
hand in my Florida garage and I did not dry the board down enough and all of
it cracked again). A lot for a board that is only about three feet long!
When I blocked/wedged the board up I guess (without exaggeration) I likely
had about ten wedgeing locations between the framing and the ribs.

Thanks so much for all the info. I think I have all the brain tools I will
have before doing this job.......so here goes!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com