bars

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 04:45:17 -0600

Clyde:

If it were under compression and hard to remove, I'd really think twice,
but I've not found one in that condition.  With the piano up to pitch it
normally just lifts out.  I even had one "B" here where the bar buzzed on
certain notes.  I took it out, put a small piece of stringing braid under
one end, and put it back.  In other words it was loose enough to "sing".
I've heard it is there for additional strength while being moved.  It seems
to make sense to me.

??

dave

On 2/1/01 at 10:16 PM Clyde Hollinger wrote:

>Hm.  So if the bar isn't important, why put it there in the first place?
>Marketing?
>
>Regards, Clyde
>
>"David M. Porritt" wrote:
>
>> Ed:
>>
>> I've heard it from Steinway and others, the bar is OK to remove.  I've
done
>> it for working on dampers, it has no effect, comes out and back in
easily
>> under full tension.
>>
>> If you bring a "B" in for the program, it has the same bar on it that
the
>> "D" does and can be removed as easily and safely as the "D".
>>
>> dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts