bars

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:40:46 -0600

Ed:

I've heard it from Steinway and others, the bar is OK to remove.  I've done
it for working on dampers, it has no effect, comes out and back in easily
under full tension.

If you bring a "B" in for the program, it has the same bar on it that the
"D" does and can be removed as easily and safely as the "D".

dave

On 2/1/01 at 4:28 AM A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>Greetings,
>   So,  in my email this morning is a note from the head of the music
>department, (who has students playing a Crumb piece_)
>
>"We will need to remove the diagonal screwed-in bar on one of the hall
>pianos for the performance (I don't recall which, but will figure it out
by
>this weekend) in order to strum strings that are on either side of the
bar.""

>    I don't really think taking the plate strut out is a good idea,  seems

>like it isn't going to go back in very gracefully.  Anybody out there have

>experience with strut removal and reinstallation, under full tension,  on
>Steinway D?
>Thanks,
>Ed Foote RPT

David M. Porritt