bars

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:51:04 -0800

Hi, Ed,

I don't recall the title off hand, but this work was specifically written
for an "L", not a "D"...it even says so in the score.  FInd an "L", and you
will find that nothing has to me moved or changed.

As to the bar, it has to be removed for a "Countryman" type pickup to be
installed, among other recording/amplification setups.  On the one hand, it
can, with impunity be removed.  On the other, it is, after all, a
structural part of the plate...so, when I have been put in the place of
having to do this, I have folks sign a waver...something on the order
of:  "Yep.  We can do that, most of the time it isn't a problem, but it can
be, so, if you do it, it is against my advice, and you are responsible for
any potential damages..." etc/etc/etc.

Practically speaking, it seems to me that, if the bar can be easily
removed, you are probably OK.  If it is wedged, probably best to leave
things alone.

Perhaps Del has some thoughts on this.

More later.

Horace

At 04:28 AM 2/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>    So,  in my email this morning is a note from the head of the music
>department, (who has students playing a Crumb piece_)
>
>"We will need to remove the diagonal screwed-in bar on one of the hall
>pianos for the performance (I don't recall which, but will figure it out by
>this weekend) in order to strum strings that are on either side of the bar.""
>
>     I don't really think taking the plate strut out is a good idea,  seems
>like it isn't going to go back in very gracefully.  Anybody out there have
>experience with strut removal and reinstallation, under full tension,  on a
>Steinway D?
>Thanks,
>Ed Foote RPT

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office, Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100
Stanford, CA 94305

Voice:  650.725.9062
Fax:     650.725.8014