Yamaha U3 puzzler

Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:49:51 -0600

Terry,

At 21:16 01/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone please confirm for me the manufacture date of the following
>Yamaha U3? The serial# is: H 2084987. My atlas indicates about 1979, but
>no letter "H" is indicated anywhere; only "T" or "U".

The info i got from Yamaha a couple years ago says:

- taller than 45" - Hamamatsu
- less than 45" with 7 digit serial # - Hamamatsu

My guess:  H = Hamammatsu

However, that number would be late 1975...

>The owner's SWEAR that they bought it BRAND NEW about 3 years ago from
>"Merril's Music", which, they tell me, is no longer in business.

Duh...

>  The piano surely appears new, and the bench is padded, as all the
> current Yam Verts are now, and I assume Yamaha was not making that kind
> of bench 20+ years ago...or were they?

Who's to say the bench and the piano are the same age???

>The owner's claim it has never really been played, and indeed, by all
>appearances, looks quite new.
>Please help asap! thanks!
>Terry Peterson

Either the piano was in a time warp or my information is inaccurate...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.