Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 01:32:02 -0000

Major issue here... should we reproduce what was original or "Improve"
on it based on evolved knowledge?  I'm sure that my tuning mentor Bill
Garlick would choose the former.  Based on what I've learned in the field of
Touch Weight Metrology I can't help but go for the broader dynamic range and
fuller tone that I know comes from from hammers that are in the High mid to
high zone.  These hammer weights usually create disaster in regards to touch
weight when applied to old pianos.
I also know that with expertise that any action may be configured to handle
higher weight hammers.  The result usually unleashes a suprizing amount of
tone potential so I would put myself in the latter catagory... I choose to
"Improve".  Hammer weights have evolved upwards for good reasons.  Either
choice is valid if it serves the need of the piano owner.

David Stanwood