Rocking bridges

Knabe dknabe@airmail.net
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:42:37 -0600

Bravo Robin!

Finally, some engineering sense brought into the discussion. Excellent
insights!

Thanks, Robin, for getting a decent start in this direction.

The key to modeling any complex system is to break it down into a series of
smaller components that can be modeled.

A piano is really an oscillating system. Oscillators are some of the most
complex objects from both a physical and a mathematical standpoint. And to
make matters worse (from an analysis standpoint), there are multiple
oscillators and multiple resonating components throughout the piano. Some of
the most important characteristics that determine how a piano sounds have to
do with how energy is transferred among all the resonating components and
how each of the oscillators and resonators decays.

What this discussion is about is how this all happens. It seems to me that a
good physicist or mechanical engineer should be able to create a conceptual
model that breaks the piano down into a system of simpler oscillators,
resonators and couplings that could describe most of the behavior of the
sound of a piano. Unfortunately, I'm an EE, not an ME, so I can't do it
(yet).

Here's my preliminary list of simpler systems to model. Others can probably
suggest a better component list than this one, but it's a start.

Vibrating string
Coupling to the sound board via the bridge
Soundboard (with boundary conditions)
Soundboard coupling to the air

Then of course, the hammer/ string impact must be modeled to define the
initial impulse injected into the system.

The goal is to come up with a simple mathematical model that describes the
first order sound production of a piano. From there, one refines the model
to add second, third and fourth order effects to make the model more
accurate, and to make it useful in trading off design parameters.

Best regards,
Doug Knabe
(Not related to my knowledge, but I haven't tried to trace it..)
Piano guy in learning...
mailto:dkanbe@airmail.net