ratchet tuner

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:02:58 -0800 (PST)

--- Bigeartb@AOL.COM wrote:
> /Dear List:
> I' m  sure all of you have already had this
> experience but for me ....this is
> a first. I tuned my first piano for a lady whose
> husband had worked six hours
> with a socket and ratchet attempting to tune her
> piano because I charged too
> much money. She told me after six hours of
> flustration he said to her, "call
> that tuner. It'll be the best money I ever spent".
> I pulled strings up.... I
> pulled strings down.....I then tuned it twice....It
> sounded really....really
> good. It cost him more money...She's happy...He's
> happy...and so am I.
> I love my job ....cause I' m good....Now he knows
> how good I really am.
>
> Tommy Black
> Birmingham, Ala

I know the feeling, I went to tune a piano the other
day which was absolutely dreadful, I was just
wondering what on earth had happened to it when I
glanced round and spotted a tuning hammer on a
bookcase nearby.  It appears the customer had been
trying to tune his own piano.  I wonder if he attempts
his own dental work rather than go to the dentist!

Bob Wilson
London.