Piano Rims (rambling post)

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:35:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 30, 2001 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: Piano Rims (rambling post)

> Does this mean that you modify the bracing on
> your pianos?  Many pianos seem to have no bracing
> along the straight side.  And many seem to have
> all belly rail support concentrated in one spot,
> and in a spot that I might think it's not so
> important that it be stiff.

Yes. We add cross-braces between the longitudinal bellybraces and the long,
straight side. By design this cross-brace is most often located at the point
the soundboard cutoff bar intersects the rim straight side. We lay the
soundboard cutoff bar on top of the added rim cross-brace.

We also usually add a bellybrace between the inside of the rim's inside
treble curve and the belly rail.

Del