It's Gonna Be Good..slightly OT

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 08:28:13 -0500

My instructions simply included that warning that significant training is
required to know how to cut the wire, customize the wrap length, etc. and
that someone with training and experience should do this. She says her
friend "know-how-to-fix-piano".

They came by - husband, wife, and cute little daughter. Spoke broken
english - recently off the boat from Asia somewhere. Very nice people. Man
was pretty slick. Impressed me. To figure diameter, he measured the
circumference of the two adjacent strings (missing string is monocord) with
a piece of paper rolled around the strings. He then measured the paper, and
converted from millimeters to inches for me. The note was G1, and he came up
with 0.189" and 0.169" for the two adjacent strings. Not knowing my sizes
right off, I went to a spinet in my shop (their piano is a console I think)
and measured the diameter of G1 - 0.185". I told him I had to question the
accuracy of his measurements, but that they did indeed seem to be close to
what might be expected. I sold him a universal of 0.179" diameter. Maybe his
measurements are good. Pretty impressive that the lower string came out
bigger than the upper one.

I have to admit that I did consider saying no to selling the string. But I
had sold treble strings to a chainsaw repair place (for cleaning fuel
lines), felt to a sports clothes embroidery place (for some sewing machine
oiling thingee), etc., etc. First time for everything and I guess I feel
that I learn more if I just go for something. I do realize this one may have
a few pitfalls awaiting! We'll see!

They just bought the piano and know it needs tuning. Why they didn't just
have me stick it in when I go there to tune is beyond me. Perhaps her friend
will tune it for her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Terry Farrell