Virus software

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:23:39 +0000

In message <12e.9fbf078.295e600c@cs.com>, HazenBannister@cs.com writes
>Hi list,
> I don't have any virus software on my laptop,and have been seeing
>threats of viruses
>on this list ,as well as from friends.I need some advice on trying out
>some software,maybe on trial,or purchasing some.Also,how does
>eveyone feel about purchasing some on the internet?I have a
>friend,who had his credit card number
>stolen on line,and ran up a big bill.I don't know the outcome yet,but
>that's kind of
>scary.He noticed it on his bill,or he would never had known.
>
>Hazen Bannister
>Western Carolinas Chapter

I have used Mcafee since 1995 and have been happy with it However, it
has got so greedy with  memory resources this last upgrade I have
changed to http://www.avp.ch/   which is even better than Mcafee as it
will update each day if you wish and the computer is a lot faster,  you
can down load a 30 day trial.

Don has advised you to get Zone alarm  which is a firewall not an AV
However, is  worth getting  as not only will it stop any one entering
your computer it tells  you what is leaving your computer so if a Trojan
is on your system ZA will ask you if you wish it to have access to the
net.  The other benefit is that you soon realise how much spywere is on
you computer AOL-Netscape

As for using CC on the net you are more likely to get ripped off at your
local restaurant than on the net - having said that I have a credit card
just for the net with a small credit limit of £500 I use it a lot I have
only have one problem in 6 years and that made me get the new CC that
was not theft, just a computer error the server got in to a loop and
kept trying to take $35 from my card $30,000 in total.  The company was
very quick to respond to my fax and gave me the product for free.
However, the CC was a bit slower  I could not use my CC for 7 days until
all the transactions have been cancelled.  Well they were very quick to
tell me I have exceeded my limit,   all it cost me was inconvenience and
a change of underwear when the CC company told me I had exceeded my
credit limit.  That was 3 years ago.

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/