Piano 300 Book "survey"

Randy Potter rpotter@bendnet.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:56:54 -0700

> From: "Kent Swafford, RPT" <sec@ptg.org>
> Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 06:57:59 -0600
> To: pianotech list <pianotech@ptg.org>, <ptg-l@ptg.org>
> Subject: Piano 300 Book "survey"
>

> Dear PTG Members,
>
> The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, is planning to co-publish with
> NAMM, a book based on the exhibit, entitled "PIANO 300:  Celebrating Three
> Centuries of People and Pianos."  This book will be about 84 pages and will
> be lavishly illustrated in color. Individual sections correspond to the
> segments of the exhibit itself and an appendix will include the technical
> specifications of the individual pianos in the exhibit.
>
> PTG member, David Lamoreaux, RPT, has reviewed the book and finds it "very
> impressive." Mr. Lamoreaux states "there will be additional chapters with
> information on instruments that because of space limitations couldn't be put
> in the Piano 300 gallery but are representative of piano making in the US --
> such as spinet piano, the White House Steinway etc.."  "-- I would think a
> lot of folk would like to have this book and also buy copies to give to
> special clients."
>
> The Piano Technicians Guild has the opportunity to order a quantity of these
> books at a pre-publication discount. The final pricing to PTG members has
> not yet been set, but should be less than $18.

The Smithsonian was selling a book at the Piano 300 Exhibit when we were
there last year, titled Piano Roles. It was authored/edited by "James
Parakilas and Others", with Foreward by Noah Adams, Copyright 1999, and is
published by Yale University Press. Cost at Barnes & Noble is $40, $36 if
you have a Barnes & Noble discount card.

The hardcover book is about 460 pages long, with hundreds of photos and
graphics, about half in color. Near as I could tell when I was at the
exhibit, twice, just about every item in the exhibit is in this very
impressive, hard cover book. Even many of the small, seemingly insignificant
by interesting things like the Piano Bed, and others.

I do not know if Schaff currently has it in stock, but they did order it
after our convention in Arlington and did carry it.

Randy Potter, R.P.T.