Aural or ETD, Which is Best? (kinda long)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:21:13 -0500

This was my very point of identifiying the "direct interval tuning" method
of utilizing an ETD. If you are tuning by the "direct interval" method, the
"smooth curve" is not even something to contemplate. There is no curve. No
bad curve, no bumpy curve, no smooth curve. There is no curve. There is no
calculated tuning. You are simply measuring direct intervals in the same
manner that you would listen (and hopefully do listen also!) to if tuning
aural only.

With my SAT III I do use a smooth curve - I use a FAC calculated tuning, and
then adjust it to fit the piano as well as I can do it. But like you say,
this is some form of a smooth curve, and it will theoritically (and often
practically I am sure) not be as good as a good aural tuning can be. But
this (the way I use my ETD) is very different from the direct interval
method of tuning. The direct interval method of tuning - when used
properly - can refine your aural tuning with "lazer" accuracy - with no
"smooth curve" funkyness.

Is my point clear? Maybe Jim Coleman or Bill Bremmer would like to chime
in????? I think this is a critical point that is often overlooked when
addressing the concern of "aural vs. electronic". Electronic does not have
to be "autopilot".

Terry Farrell