Rocking bridges

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:07:07 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> This discussion has wasted enough time and is getting nowhere. Most of what
> I have to say about the function of the soundboard has already been printed
> and/or published either on the list or elsewhere. I've no interest in
> finding new ways of repeating myself or in trying to think up new ways of
> explaining what has already been explained ad infinitum.

I dont think its wasted a lot of time, tho I do see that there is no need to
repeat ones stanpoints beyond reasonble requirements for clarity, which have
been met already at least a few times.

> According to Richard Brekne it is condescending of me to offer outside
> references for further study, so I'll refrain.

That, Delwin... is a bold face lie and unworthy of your status as one who is
knowledglable in so many aspects of piano construction.  I dare you to find
anything anywhere that I have written at any time that can even remotely
interpreted such, and I have to seriously question what on earth motivation you
could possibly have for presenting the above statement.

For the record. I am critical of you Delwin for often doing exactly the
opposite of offering outside references for further study. It is unfortunate
that you seem to take that criticism personally, as it is really nothing more
then a request for reading material and documentation that can support the many
declarations of truth you have made, many of which are no doubt quite on the
mark. I am indeed sorry that you find it so insulting to be asked to
substantiate yourself from time to time

For the rest of it... I am actually truly greatfull for your valued input to my
own knowledge base, however meager that may or may not be. We are all on the
same path to learning I would hope. Does it really make so much difference how
far each of us have individually come on that road ?

> It is, however, unrealistic
> for anyone to attempt to gain a reasonable understanding of something like
> the movement of the piano soundboard just through an exchange such as
> pianotech.

I dissagree... we all learn in our own ways Delwin. I fail to see that reading
to each others ideas and thinking through what one reads and hears is anything
but conducive to furthering ones own knowledge and understanding. While this
particular resource is by no means sufficient in itself for these purposes, it
is certainly a valued aid.

> It is also unrealistic to insist on dogmatic theories without
> actually getting in there and trying them out. One of the ongoing problems
> with theories is that they often get in the way of real-world function.

It is unrealistic to insist on dogmatic theories period.

> I'll glance back from time to time to see if there have been any new
> developments, but for the most part I'm out of here. I've work to do and
> pianos to build.
>
> Del

Thankyou so much for this positive contribution to us all Delwin.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.