help with remedy for jumping tuning pins on Kawai grand

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 20:29:47 -0600

Many tuning pins in the base of my Kawai KG-1D (5-foot, 1984) have =
become jumpy in the last 4 years.  The piano's former RPT (and my =
mentor) said he never encountered jumping pins.

Two conditions have changed with my piano:  1)  I tune it now, and  2) =
it was cleaned with ammonia water (even though I told the cleaners to =
leave it alone) following some smoke damage from a fire in the other =
side of my duplex in 1994.  This leads to a few questions (from a =
novice):

1)  Why might this problem develop?  Have I inadvertently done something =
wrong?  Could it have resulted from the cleaning?  (There has been no =
other contamination.)

2)  The pins are still very tight.  Could I remove the pins, and pound =
them in again to eliminate the jumping?  or, should I drill or ream for =
a 3/0 pin and install new pins?

3)  How much material is best for a reamer to remove?  If there is too =
little of material to remove will the reamer burnish the hole instead of =
cut?

4)  What other options for a guaranteed fix are there?

Thanks for even reading this long-winded request.  And thanks to all of =
you on this list who have been so helpful in educating me.

Merry Christmas,
Mark Ultsch
Madison WI