Stored Tunings v/s FAC??

Carl Teplitski koko99@mb.sympatico.ca
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 01:55:58 -0600

Most common sence statement I've read on subject. ( not pure science )
Given the nature of a tuning pin, and the difficulty of moving it a minute
distance, what are the chances of returning it to exactly the same place
more than once. If in fact the pin does stop in a different  place, and still
produces an acceptable unison each time, then I assume that the theoretical
numbers really are moot.  e.g. .o5 flat, or .o5 sharp of top dead centre, does
it amount to enough for the ear to care??  ( .o5, just a number for example )
Are all the violins in a symphony at any time exactly in tune, or is the fact that
there is some difference, which produces a chorus effect, desireable for producing
a complex wave, therby making a bigger overall effect. ( 40 piece choir, also )
Obviously, striving for perfection will bring us closer, so we should try.
Also, just wondering.