Muting replacement strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:38:47 -0500

Dave,

I used to have the mutes pop out, but that rarely happens anymore.  I will put
the mute near the bottom of the string (in verticals), where it won't move the
string enough to mess up proper damping, and where it will do no harm if it does
pop out.  I will probably leave the string unmuted if it is high in the treble
if the piano rarely gets played in that area anyway.  In between I use my best
judgment.

One can ask, what causes a mute to pop out?  That probably happens because it is
wedge shaped, and the vibrations cause it to want to go in the direction of the
thicker part.  If you mute with something that has equal thickness on both sides
of the string, it should stay where you put it.

Regards,
Clyde