Rocking bridges

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 11:39:24 -0800

 Ron,
     On Dec 15th, 2001 in the first post I offered on this subject, and in
anticipation of the relevance of the nature of motion,  I addressed this issue
with some implications arising from to the nature of a collision of a mosquito
and an aircraft carrier.  You stated that the metaphor would best be expressed
in terms of the impact of an airliner,  and this better expressed the
relations between string and bridge.  Subsequently, and  I won't take the
trouble to find and quote your post you said that the motion was  substantially
above the molecular level, always adhering to the idea that the  behavior of
the soundboard was a consequence of this motion.  Yet it would seem you now
have progressively diminished you claims of motion  to the  level indicated by
that of the mosquito, if not smaller.
     You implied that this motion was in some way confirmed, not wishing to put
words in your mouth, by  a  level of deflection detected  in your test with
weights on the plate and the rim;  measuring, if memory serves me,  a value of
0.001 of an inch in deflection; later you find pressure on the string to move
the board by about 0.0005; you take no notice of my repeated comments that the
purported motion appears to decreasing in magnitude.  What is the level of
insignificant  motion to which you wish to proceed?
     I have repeatedly stated, as I did in the first post, that the answer to
this question  is to be found in the analysis of motion itself,  referring to
the nature of translation, rotation and stress wave, another point you, Del and
others took no pains to comment upon.    This in the context of an  overall
discussion  of what sound in fact is;  therefore I take by this that you too
were concerned with sound and its evolution from a piano.  I doubt very
seriously that we, all of us, have been concerned with the motion of the stars
and planets.   And now you say that you don't know what the effect is, if any,
on the sound and claim that "rocking" of the bridge, however small and,
apparently, however insignificant to the sound, is the point at issue and claim
the point conceded.  Preposterous!  I don't think is so.  If this is what you
reduce your argument to then you and your co-thinkers have in fact conceded,
which, of course, I don't think you do.
   The first  post overall  was in response to the earlier  claims made that
rippling, flexing and rocking of the bridge was occuring; that  these motions
were transmitted across the soundboard surface as" ripples in a pond" and that
this  was the mechanism of energizing the soundboard, so to speak.  I include
a fragment of that post quoted below.  The claim had also been made that this
energization was in fact similar to a  that undergone by a "diaphragm in a
loudspeaker"  to uses Del's words -who, to be fair,  did say that it was not an
exact representation but a useful analogy. So, there is substantially more at
issue than mere rocking of the bridge were this even so which I think not the
case.  Were it so, it would be as I have always maintained, essentially
insignificant and, let me now be categorical; :  this is  by no means the
prinicipal mechanism of transfer of energy from string to soundboard.  Should
such motion  exist in any appreciable degree markedly deleterious effects would
then be incurred in the sound.

Excursion of the bridge and
soundboard at this point is neglible if extant at all.  One could, I suppose,
call this a ripple but this is misleading and of little significance.

     Now you appear to have reduced the entire question to the extent of the
ripple("rocking" and that would be truly insignificant.

     Both I and J Delacour  have been very explicit on numerous occasions that
the issue was in fact transduction of the energy of the vibrating string at the
string/bridge interface:  In an attempt to clarify this several  posts have
been proffered addressing the nature of motion itself and, in  particular,
addressing the question of suppression  by some sort of clamp or other source
of pressure, this purported motion, and its effect on the vibrating string.
Examples have been offered.  All have elicited little commentary other than
blase generalizations for the most part.  I asked what is the magnitude of such
motion, if it exists, and how does it contribute to the sound.  Your  answer is
apparently, I don't know.  The relevance of the effect on the board and
therefore sound has always been the issue in the context of how sound itself
arises from these processes.

    Ron, you,   at least insofar as I am concerned, to your credit,  have been
willing to get in the trenches and debate these issues, while your
co-proponents are apparently busy elsewhere, this being the holidays perhaps
that is understandable, perhaps not.  There is far more than merely the
"tension difference" inhibiting your rocking motion.  The  forces exerted on
the bridge which itself is stiff expressed as  the downbearing load or to use
Del's term "downforce" are counterbalanced by  the resisting forces provided by
the soundboard assemply including the ribs, the strain of crownd, the rim,  and
so forth.
Regards, Robin Hufford