Pipe Organ Tuning Fees

Delton, Jr. Eason dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:07:42 -0800 (PST)

Of those of you who have tuned small to large pipe
organs, what do you charge for the tuning?

My thoughts are to count the number of stops and
octaves on the pipe organ (two registers or less),
multiply the stops by the number of octaves
(determining the number of notes), then divide that by
88 (number of keys on a standard piano).  Take that
number and multiply it times the charge of tuning a
piano.  (For example, a pipe organ with 5 octaves (65
keys) and 13 stops has 845 notes divided by 88 equals
9.6 pianos times $55 (church piano tuning fee) equals
about $528.

I use to tune a pipe organ in Great Falls, Montana,
which took me about three hours.  It took me between
15 to 30 minutes to tune a stop, depending upon
whether or not it was split.

When the church checked with a reputable pipe organ
tuner from out of town (state too, I think), they were
going to charge the church $900.  I think there were
about 15 stops on the organ.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

=====
D. Eason, Jr.
Eason's Piano/Pipe Organ Tuning and Repair
Helena, MT
dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com