Universal Bass String Deadness

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 19:12:59 -0600

>...It sounded fine, and the strings have sat in my car
>for at least 10 years...
>Susan Kline

Susan, List,

I have to concur with your experience.  I have used universals for way
longer than 10 years and carry 40 different sizes in the car with me 24/7,
as well as more hanging in the closet in my office.  No tension involved
whatsoever.

Under no circumstances that I can ever recall have any of these strings
been dead sounding upon installation.  And the ones in the van have been
exposed to the changing outside temperatures that occur each season year
after year.

Sometimes I really have to question some of the statements given on this
list as having any authoritative value, but rather they appear as a whim
only.

Wondering how anyone who doesn't have actual experience with some of the
subject material tossed around in this forum can even begin to know who to
believe.  And that includes me as well   :-)

Holiday Cheers,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731