Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:39:44 +0000

At 2:00 PM -0600 12/23/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>  >In my post with the topic "Rocking Bridges", to which at the time of
>>writing you have not yet responded,
>
>Nor is there any reason for me to. With you maintaining that a string
>deflected by a finger will move the bridge but one deflected by a hammer
>strike won't, I see no point in continuing.

Then you will have the leisure to watch your theories discussed in
your absence.  I relinquish this thread with a selection of
quotations which indicate to me that my summing up of your position,
which you refuse to confirm, is correct.  It seems to me  a fair
summing up.

I will now proceed to the Rocking Bridge question under a thread with
that subject line.

JD

At 8:00 AM -0600 12/18/01, Ron Nossaman wrote [ridiculing JD's position]:
>Meanwhile, the unchallenged fact that the bridge does move has
>little or nothing to do with sound production, but it's definitely
>not the string movement that is moving the bridge.

At 4:47 PM -0600 12/18/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
JD:
>>Under these conditions the bridge cannot be moved by the strings,
>>since a body only moves in reaction to a force and in these
>>circumstances there is a zero force acting on the bridge.
RN: