Birdcage Pianos

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 07:33:27 -0800 (PST)

--- Allegrofinemusic@AOL.COM wrote:
> Hi List
> For a new bloke on the block ( get it) I'm grateful
> for the info I am picking
> up.
> Just a tiny, little, incy, question.
> Where these over dampers cheaper to manufacture?

I guess they were, but my understanding is that the
damping was not entirely satisfactory, even in their
day. Designs varied, of course, and some were better
than others, but the underdamper worked better and
became the norm as manufacturers updated their designs
and moved with the times.  Those that did not move
with the times went out of business.

It is part of piano history and it is nice to come
across one from time to time, they don't fill me with
horror - I'm used to dealing with them and I guess
some will be around a little longer yet.  It's
interesting that they are rarely seen in America. I'm
sure the climate may have something to do with this.
Most of the overdamper/straight strung pianos I come
across are tuned to original international pitch c517
which is almost a semi-tone below the pitch we use
today.  Many customers aren't bothered by this, and
those that do worry about pitch would have updated
their pianos.

Bob Wilson
London