hold on a minute,(was general poll)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:08:25 EST

Greetings Kjell,
     First off, thanks for jumping in here from so far away,(from most of
us).  I think it is magical that the internet allows techs from extremely
disparate places to compare notes like this! I always find it interesting to
hear what our European colleagues are doing.

 inre your friend, the tech with the machine, you write:

>>But until this day (after more than 20 years with aural tuning), I have not

allowed him to assist me in the tuning process...

Aural tuning gives us a greater challenge, or??? :)<<

      Or? it allows one to reinvent the wheel everytime he tunes.
      Hmm, OK,  I agree that strictly aural tuning provides a greater
challenge.  However, finding a way to make a necessary task a greater
challenge  doesn't appeal to me anymore.  I want the shortest route to the
nearest perfection that I can find.
     So....., I propose a reason that the use of a sufficiently sophisticated
ETD is a more efficient and logical manner of tuning than strictly aural.
     My short background: I received really fine training,and spent a long
time tuning aurally in a very demanding environment.  When the programmable
SAT arrived,  I bought one.  I sneered at the FAC, I aurally tuned each size
of Steinway grand and recorded the results in memory.  The next time I used
any of these recorded tunings, I found something I thought I could improve
upon.  This went on for about three or four uses, each one offering less
objectionable reproduction than the last.  Finally, I ended up with recorded
tunings for these pianos that ask for NO modification.  These are the
templates I use.
    I consider these "perfected" tunings only in the sense that I am not
changing them anymore, not that they are "the best".  They pass muster in all
uses I encounter.  I realize that the changing seasons and humidity
considerations can cause measurable changes in the inharmonicity, but so far,
that hasn't shown itself to be a factor,thus, these are "year-round" tunings.
 I even base all of my temperament modifications on them, to good effect.
   My point inre the aural tuning's shortcomings is that the "strictly-aural"
tuner is denied the cumulative refinement that a machine will allow.  That
tuner is not able to critique his/her own work each time they call up the
program.  Even though the  strictly aural tuner has a hands on, sensuous
connection with the work, they must start from scratch every time, without
full benefit of their past efforts.  This maximizes the work,which is not a
direction I care to pursue.
     I did it for a long time,  but even so,  when I included the modern,
programmable, tuning machine in my professional life, I became a much better
and more consistant tuner, and felt the demands of the work lessen to an
extraordinary degree. This is totally besides the ease of extreme pitch
raises and  the whole new world of temperament variety that the machine
provides.
     I really believe that the techs that can combine the traditional skills
with the most advanced technology will be able to offer the maximum value to
their customers, and in the long run, that will be to everyone's benefit.

regards,
Ed Foote RPT
(is it a thread or is it a fuse?  dunno........... just got finished for the
year, had a couple of bodacious, high-end weeks, gonna be lounging with the
keyboard and scotch here for a week or two.  We got two more facets of the
temperament question to discuss, too.  Anybody seen the book by Stuart
Isacoff, called something like "Solving The Riddle"  about ET?