Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:34:38 +0000

At 8:09 AM -0600 12/21/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>  >The vision you and your co-thinkers have of the bodily movement of
>>the bridge, not only up and down but also in a rocking motion,
>>strikes me as completely absurd and impossible.  Throughout this
>>thread and previous related threads you have persistently poo-pooed
>>any question of waves except the sort of wave or ripple that you
>>associate with the ripples on the surface of a body.  Similarly the
>>only movement you seem to be able to comprehend is movement of a body
>>as a whole.
>
>Once again, I understand your theory and disagree with it. It has been
>acknowledged that there are also compression waves passing through the
>system as well as progressive and stationary transverse waves. We've
>already done this. I have never denied the existence of compression waves
>in strings and soundboards. What I have said, and still say, is that they
>are not the principal driver of the system.

Once again, your response shows that you do not understand at all,
since there has been no discussion in this thread of compression
waves in the soundboard and the strings.  What is under discussion is
the waves that pass through the bridge.

>by repeatedly avoiding my question of how small a bridge movement
>constitutes no movement at all. You made a very big deal of stating
>that a strung bridge couldn't be moved with a crowbar, so I think
>it's only reasonable that you qualify this claim with a minimum
>value of what constitutes movement. This is at the very core of your
>theory, and I see no way that you can logically support this theory
>without quantifying this claim. So let's have it and get this over
>with.

You talk of "my" theory as though I had dreamed it up out of thin air
without any scientific evidence and as if I were claiming some
novelty.  On the contrary I have challenged you (in a part of my
message you have avoided reproducing) to produce one serious URL,
such as a University site, in support of what you are claiming.  You
ask "how small a bridge movement constitutes no movement at all" and
the question is perfect nonsense. If there is some movement then
there can't be no movement, but what is supposed to be the context of
this meaningless question?  You are claiming that the string bodily
moves the bridge in such a way as to induce the soundboard to emit
the sound appropriate to the string's vibrations and I say that it is
impossible for this to happen.  In your support Ron Overs piped up
and said

At 5:42 PM +1100 12/19/01, Overs Pianos wrote:
>  As the minute variations in the speaking length tension occur in
>response to the string's position (at a given point in the cycle),
>so too will there be a similar minute variation in the vector force
>on the sound board panel.

No one is claiming that there is no disturbance or stress at the
meeting of the string with the bridge, otherwise no sound would be
transmitted, but to claim that this disturbance results in the bodily
movement of the bridge and drives the soundboard as a solenoid drives
a loudspeaker is nonsense.  That disturbance results in the
_vibration_ of the bridge, which is the movement of a compression
wave through the bridge during which every molecule of the bridge
will be set in an oscillatory motion about its position of
equilibrium.  These vibrations will travel through the bridge in the
same way whether or not the sum of the additional forces exerted by
the vibrating strings on the bridge, whether laterally or vertically,
amounts to zero as in an example I gave earlier in the thread.

When you punch a dot in a huge lump of iron with a centre punch, the
molecules at the point of the punch are so disturbed that not only
does a compression wave travel through the iron but these molecules
near the surface are permanently rearranged, and yet the lump of iron
does not move.  The energy at the point of the punch is sufficient to
overcome the intermolecular forces at the surface and take a tiny
part of the iron beyond its elastic limit.  The remaining molecules
simply oscillate about their position of equilibrium in the elastic
medium.

I take a 6 ft. rod of aluminium and press one end against the bridge
of an upright piano.  To the other end I hold a vibrating tuning
fork.  A compression wave passes along the material of the rod,
continues in the same way through the bridge and causes the
soundboard to emit the sound of the tuning fork.  Your theory will
announce that some sort of movement of the aluminium rod is
responsible for this phenomenon and I say tell that to the marines!

JD