Fallboard hinge pin

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:31:58 -0500

Phil,
I'm assuming that the pin is fairly small in diameter - perhaps
around 1/8" or so.  You can buy a broken screw extractor (I see one
in the Pianotek catalog, page B-21) to drill around the pin, glue in
a wood plug, and then redrill for the new pin.  It should be a fairly
straightforward repair.

Respectfully,
Jon

>I had a customer with a  Schumann grand that had the fallboard hinge pin
>broken off inside the case.  The broken-off pin must be a quarter inch deep
>inside the wood of the case so there is no way I could get a grip on it.  I
>told the owner that  I would order a new pin and drill the old one out, but
>how am I going to do this?  I can't reposition the pin as it must go exactly
>in the same spot in order for the fallboard to close correctly.  Is there a
>small tool that will back-out this broken-off part?  Is there other hinge
>hardware that I could substitute?  Or should I recommend a carpenter?
>Anyone know Norm Abrams' phone number?
>Phil Ryan
>Miami Beach

Jon Ralinovsky