Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:32:56 -0800

You guys don't know enough about basic physics to even be discussing wave
theory.

  In order for a body to move, a force needs to
> be applied (Newton's first law)

Newton's First Law, ( the apple hits me on the head ). The Law of Gravity.
He said gravity is a Force that increases the speed of an object by a
constant amount. 10 meters a second every second was what he measured it to
be. Hence the term acceleration measured in (distance/sec)/sec. Then he
theorized that the Force of an object was the product of its mass and
acceleration. F=ma. Newton's Second Law. Now use your calculus to derivate
the formula (acceleration becomes 0, velocity is constant) and the formula
becomes F=m(velocity squared). F=mv2. The heart of vector analysis. It also
explains why your tack hammer rebounds so dramatically from the tuning pin.
For every action there is an equal and opposite action.
Objects in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external
force.
Sound familiar physics students? Not very useful for wave theory.
As for what the action of the bridge is, I offer proof that the strings
stabilize the bridge.
At the Reno convention I watched Virgil tune. He claimed the note dropped in
pitch when he pulled the mute and tuned the second string. He showed us
orally that this was true. Dr. Sanderson then came up and measured the
difference. Dr Sanderson said the second string set itself up in opposition
to the first string creating less movement of the bridge and there by less
stretch of the string and an equivalent drop in pitch.    "set itself up in
opposition",  now there's a man who understands wave theory.
Keith Roberts
Check out this site. Course notes for the physics of sound.
 http://online.anu.edu.au/ITA/ACAT/drw/PPofM/