soundwaves (the behavior of soundboards)

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:12:39

Here goes, jumping in at the middle again!

Robin Hufferd wrote:
Had this been the case then even a relatively light pressure upon the
bridge should immediately reduce the loudness of the sound emanating from
the soundboard as it does with the flexing part of the fork and a variable
pressure would introduce variable volumes in the sound.  This is plainly not
the case. It is the case, however, that pressure upon the stem and base of
the fork does not eliminate the sound; and this is  precisely what occurs
when pressure is applied to the bridge.

Just to test the theory, I took out my trusty fork and gave it a listen.
Next, walked over to the big, heavy bench with the big, heavy vise.  Clamped
it down good by the "non vibrating" end and struck it again.  Hmmmmm......
very quiet this time.  Maybe no matter how tightly you clamp the fork in a
fleshy, nonrigid finger, you can't hear a difference.  Yet clamped in a much
more rigid system, there is an obvious difference.  In much the same way, a
strung piano soudboard/bridge assembly SEEMS to be rigid, yet allows
periodic motion (tone, as opposed to a hammer rap) to set the structure in
motion.  Does it take a lot of energy?  Nope, that's why pianos work.

Ron Koval