Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:12:41 +0100

Carl Meyer wrote:

> -
> > Problem 2:
> >
> > a)  I take a small tack hammer and tap the bridge lightly but firmly
> > on its top.  I then give a similar tap with the hammer on the side of
> > the bridge.  The difference in the sound produced is very markedly
> > different in the two cases.  It needs no trained ear to tell them
> > apart.
>
> How is it different?  Loudness, pitch or timbre?
>

> > b)  I take a tuning fork or small tone generator and apply it first
> > to the top of the bridge and then to the side of the bridge.  The
> > sound emitted from the soundboard is the same in both cases.
> >

> Is it the same in loudness, pitch and timbre?
>
> > JD

For those of you following the disscussion, its fun to actually try these to
small experiments. Easy to do and these questions above will then answer
themselves and at the same time provide food for further thought.

I agree with you.  He poses an interesting question.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.