Bridging the cap

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:56:12 -0800

At 12:36 PM 12/17/2001 -0800, Del wrote:
>On the other hand, Wim, I was involved in the redesign and remanufacture
>of a 4' 8" or so Howard grand a couple of years back. I did the redesign
>work for the rebuilder in Portland, Oregon. I don't know what the final
>tab on the job was, but I'm sure it was upwards of $18,000 to $20,000. The
>piano performs very nicely, its size notwithstanding. I used it as the
>prop piano for my Oregon Day presentation. The consensus was that the
>piano was a satisfactory musical instrument, even through most of the bass.

I can attest to the quality of this little grand. It not only sounded good
and was musically pleasing to play, but it had some very interesting
redesign features, and it was -- PRETTY. I'm sure that no Howard grand
before or since has been reborn on this exalted level. It seemed a waste to
do all that design work for just one piano. I wondered if Del could buy
another tired Howard grand of the same model, and do it all over again, for
convention classes, and to show customers what a good redesign can accomplish.

Susan Kline