Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:19:35 +0000

At 8:00 AM -0600 12/18/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Not just yet John. One small nearly insignificant detail.

Problem 2:

a)  I take a small tack hammer and tap the bridge lightly but firmly
on its top.  I then give a similar tap with the hammer on the side of
the bridge.  The difference in the sound produced is very markedly
different in the two cases.  It needs no trained ear to tell them
apart.

b)  I take a tuning fork or small tone generator and apply it first
to the top of the bridge and then to the side of the bridge.  The
sound emitted from the soundboard is the same in both cases.

Problem 3:

Why can't I use the tack hammer to drive in tuning pins.  Why does it
just bounce off the punch and fly up to the ceiling?

Answer me those.

JD