Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:00:29 -0600

>Del, do I have to repeat for the sixth or seventh time that I have
>never suggested that the bridge does not move?  Please do read my
>messages if you want to contribute anything useful. I simply can't be
>bothered to go back and gather quotes, but only yesterday
>
>At 8:01 PM +0000 12/16/01, John Delacour wrote:
>>Did I ever say the soundboard does not move?  That would indeed be
>>an odd statement. Did I ever say the bridge does not move?  Since
>>the bridge is glued and screwed to a flexing soundboard, that would
>>also have been a pretty tricky position to maintain.  I said neither.
>
>   Neither you nor Ron seem to have any agenda but to keep your minds
>closed and vaunt your own preconceptions, parrying any attempt at
>useful discussion with ridicule or ignorant know-all comments.  I'm
>sick of the pair of you.
>
>JD

Not just yet John. One small nearly insignificant detail.

>>  >...I borrow hydraulic equipment to make sure
>>  >that bridge really can't move.  I haven't tried it, but you suggest
>>>the effect will be to kill the bass of the piano as though the
>>  >soundboard and bridge were not there
>

>>That should be the case. Just like clamping the driving coil of a speaker
>>cone to the magnet. The transducer can't transduce if it can't move.
>
>Yes, according to Del and you it SHOULD be the case but my intuition
>tells me that it will not be the case at all and that though my
>massive clamping structure may absorb a proportion of the energy, the
>effect on the bass of the piano will be slight enough to enable the
>piano to be played and to sound quite satisfactorily.

So you never said the bridge didn't move. Quite true, you didn't. You said
it didn't have to move to make quite satisfactory piano sounds, but aren't
interested in  actually trying it to prove your intuition - even to
yourself. Meanwhile, the unchallenged fact that the bridge does move has
little or nothing to do with sound production, but it's definitely not the
string movement that is moving the bridge. The rest seems to be details
revolving around this core premise, unless I've missed some major
connection. I've got to agree with you on one point at least. My ignorance
is certainly getting in the way of me seeing the sense and usefulness of
this line of thinking.

Ron N