epoxy repair

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:29:41 EST

Hi Phil

I use a variable speed Makita.  I got it from a refurbishing shop here in
Indy.  $160.  It has reasonable slow speeds so I don't heat up the finish.
Although I don't worry too much about heating poly.  That stuff gets very hot
during the curing process.  The little heat I add is like throwing a match on
a fire, but laquer I am more careful with.

I do have a question for you though.  Your buffing wheel, do you have the
kind that uses the face (front) or the edge (side).  Also do you use wet
polishes or abrasive bars?   And do you mix different grades of abrasiveness
on the same buffing head.
Ok I had three questions.  Sue me.  I started with a buffing wheel that used
the face.  That seemed to be messier than the edge buffer I use now.  It was
especially messy with the wet polishes, and tended to leave swirl marks.  Now
I sand to 1500grit and buff with the dry bars.  Not messy at all.  Fast too.
I do not mix the different grades on the same head either.  I have two heads,
but I really only use the finest cutting abrasive stick any more.

Have a nice day
Mike Bratcher