Bridging the cap

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:36:05 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 15, 2001 7:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Bridging the cap

  In a message dated 12/15/01 1:49:51 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I have done refurbishings on a couple family heirloom spinets for =
$2,000+ - refinish, refurbish action, etc. - make 'em look like new and =
play as good as they can - VERY happy customers.=20

  From my point of view, and perhaps there are others who have 20 plus =
years experience, when I find a piano such as an "heirloom" spinet, or =
Phil's Howard grand, I can't, in good conscious, recommend the customer =
spend the money I would need to charge to refurbish the piano. $2000 to =
refinish, restore the action, tune, regulate, etc., is just not enough. =
Maybe Terry can afford to do it for that price, but I can't.  By the =
same token, to do what Phil wants to do to that Howard will be in the =
$12,000 - $15,000 range. Maybe he can do it for much less, but I'm =
sorry, I personally can't justify charging that kind of money on that =
kind of instrument.=20
-----

On the other hand, Wim, I was involved in the redesign and remanufacture =
of a 4' 8" or so Howard grand a couple of years back. I did the redesign =
work for the rebuilder in Portland, Oregon. I don't know what the final =
tab on the job was, but I'm sure it was upwards of $18,000 to $20,000. =
The piano performs very nicely, its size notwithstanding. I used it as =
the prop piano for my Oregon Day presentation. The consensus was that =
the piano was a satisfactory musical instrument, even through most of =
the bass.=20

By your standard the piano wasn't worth that much but the customer is =
delighted with the piano and in their view the money was well spent. So =
who is 'right?' I certainly wasn't embarrassed in providing my services. =
The rebuilder was open and honest with the owners of the piano about =
cost and 'value.' But their concept of value differed from our. Does =
that make them wrong? Did the rebuilder somehow swindle the customer?=20

It is not the rebuilder who has to justify charging X amount of money on =
any particular job. It is the customer who has to justify spending it.=20

Del