"commuting" mileage

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:17:25 -0500

Terry,

Like you, my piano service office is in my home.  I keep a logbook, and any
mileage that is business related is logged as a business expense.  That
necessarily includes transporting my tools and supplies to the jobsite (and home
after the last tuning, too), so mileage from my home to the first job is also a
business expense.  When Phil Bondi says that mileage can't be counted, I would
say in his defense that such was the case a couple years ago for a short time,
maybe a year or two, but not anymore (according to my CPA).

If while working during the day I make a side trip that is personal, I make a
fair estimate of how much mileage cannot be considered business and reduce the
daily figure by that amount.  I hope I am making myself clear.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA