Temperament, A violinist responds

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:47:41 EST

Don writes:
<< I do have a good friend who plays
baroque violin professionally. They tune and perform in a Young
temperament. She also performs in a "modern" ET group. They also tune and
perform. It is simply *not* a big deal to string players. >>

Greetings and au contraire!

    Our string quartet didn't comment on the first time the harpsichord was
used with a Young.  Didn't seem to faze them at all.  however....
     One of our faculty here at Vanderbilt has her two studio pianos tuned in
the Broadwood tuning.  Not only does she instruct advanced piano students but
she plays piano with Edgar Meyer, possibly one of the finest bass players in
the world.  She tells me that the tunings drive Edgar crazy. (she is still
keeping the pianos tuned for piano music, though).
Regards,
Ed Foote