Cracked plate welding/ Moffat

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:06:05 -0800

You made a comment that is the main problem with welding. That is that there
is "high heat" that causes more stress cracks. This is absolutely correct.
However, the system that I INSIST my welders use is the Nickle Rod. This
type of welding is at a very LOW heat, ( I suspect just varely enough to
actually bond), and then, any possible "stress" is eliminated by pounding as
it cools. This process leaves the plate cool enough to touch, without
burning, immediately after the weld is done.
I had one bad experience, where the welder tried to do the weld with an
acetylene torch! BIG MISTAKE! It was the one time I didn't hang around to
observe the entire procedure. ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART! That plate had
cracks all over the place. I made him redo everything with Nickle Rod and
the piano is out there, and has been for over 20years, doing what it was
intended to do, make music.
The Stitching system sounds like it is another viable way to salvage an
otherwise trashed piano. I recall an article several years ago in the PTJ,
concerning this system, but don't remember when. (I'll have to search my CD
set). If it works, then great!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)