Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:43:28 +0000

At 2:00 PM -0800 12/15/01, Robin Hufford wrote:

>Excursion of the bridge and soundboard at this point is neglible if
>extant at all.  One could, I suppose, call this a ripple but this is
>misleading and of little significance.
>      I agree with J. Delacour that a compression wave passes through the board
>:  this is a stress wave which has, of course, an  attendant strain.  The
>strain itself is the displacement but this displacement is on an atomic and
>molecular level as the particles oscillate about their neutral
>position.  There
>is no excursion or flexing of the soundboard at this point as the forces
>involved are not sufficient to actually move the board, a point which anyone
>observing weights placed upon, go bars used,  or even people sitting on
>soundboards while under repair in shops might begin to suspect.

When I walked away from this topic, having proposed such a test and
had it arbitrarily dismissed, in my own mind I had hardly travelled
beyond the point at which the string meets the bridge, though others
were anxious to generalize and get by any means to talk of the
rippling soundboard.  I can't myself make such a leap of faith, so I
would like to return to this meeting-point.

The excitation of the string by the hammer or plectrum sets up
vibrations that eventually reach our ear as a musical sound through
the medium of the air.  Of that I think there is no discussion.

For the vibrations of the string to reach our ear, they must disperse
themselves through elastic media which, in the case of the
traditional piano, comprise primarily steel or brass (the bridge
pin), beech, maple, mahogany, box (the bridge), hard glue, spruce and
whatever the rim is made of (if the rim is considered, as later it
might be, but let that pass).  So far, in my mind, there is no room
for discussion.

At my starting point, one end of the vibrating string is held firm by
downward pressure (the "down-draft") and lateral pressure (the
"side-draft") in the acute angle formed by a steel or brass pin
driven into a length of maple or laminations of maple or beech with
mahogany or ash and capped with maple, beech or box.  It is required
that this junction of the end of the string with the bridge be solid.

At the same time, the whole bridge is subject to the downward
pressure of the other strings and is in equilibrium between this and
the upward force of the soundboard.  In the case notably of
Grotrian-Steinweg, the bridge itself is very broad and is stiffened
on the reverse of the board by a substantial "counter-bridge".
Experience shows that no reasonable increase in the height of bridges
(and consequent exponential stiffening) will lead to negative tonal
effects, but rather the reverse.  The effective bridge, therefore, of
our most illustrious predecessors, seems to be by design a pretty
rigid affair and might be made even more rigid to good effect.

Interlude: The long bridge of the piano I've been working on today
(which I consider an excellent piano) is made of two lengths of solid
maple spliced at the middle.  In the treble section it is
increasingly canted to about 25 degrees at note 88 and is capped with
box.  The remainder is capped with quartered beech.  The total height
of the bridge is 32 mm. and its width 27 mm.  This design grew out of
68 years of experience during which nearly 20000 pianos had been made
by this firm.  End of interlude.

I can now apply the point of a vibrating tuning fork to the bridge
and its sound will become more audible.  Whether I apply the fork to
the top of the bridge or the side of the bridge, the quality and
audibility of the sound will be essentially the same, though
differences in grain direction and wood type may cause slight
variations.

The vibrations cause by the transverse movements of the taut string
are passed into the bridge at a point equivalent to the point of the
tuning fork pressed against the bridge, and this point in both cases
is static and not mobile.  From this point the vibration, or
molecular disturbance, radiates into the elastic medium that is the
beech or box or maple + the steel of the pin and travels as
compression waves in all directions as fast as the medium, the grain
direction etc. allow.  Virtually every molecule of the wood or steel
will be displaced and oscillate in response to the kicks and shoves
from its neigbours.  It is the oscillation of the molecules next to
the glue line, excited by kicks and shoves from all directions within
the bridge, that will now raise a rumpus in the soundboard.  The
bridge so far remains unmoved, its internal tranquility severely
disturbed but outwardly unmoved, unrippled, unfurrowed.

Serious comments only please.

JD