Bridging the cap?/ Restoration feasibility

Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:16:29 -0800

Dale:

I agree with you but I do think it is important to be as thorough as =
possible in advising the customer if the cost of rebuilding exceeds the =
completed value of the piano, or if the general quality of the =
instrument doesn't justify the cost.  If the client has other =
motivations, such as sentimental value, then they may go ahead anyway.  =
I have done several such jobs.   But in order for the client to make an =
intelligent decision, they should know all of the relevant information.=20

David Love=20

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 15, 2001 5:21 PM
  Subject: Re: Bridging the cap?/ Restoration feasibility

  In a message dated 12/15/2001 7:13:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:=20

    Subj:Re: Bridging the cap=20
    Date:12/15/2001 7:13:40 AM Pacific Standard Time=20
    From:    Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
    Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org=20
    To:    pianotech@ptg.org=20

    In a message dated 12/15/01 1:49:51 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

      I have done refurbishings on a couple family heirloom spinets for =
$2,000+ - refinish, refurbish action, etc. - make 'em look like new and =
play as good as they can - VERY happy customers.=20

      Wim Blees writes=20
    From my point of view, and perhaps there are others who have 20 plus =
years experience, when I find a piano such as an "heirloom" spinet, or =
Phil's Howard grand, I can't, in good conscious, recommend the customer =
spend the money I would need to charge to refurbish the piano. $2000 to =
refinish, restore the action, tune, regulate, etc., is just not enough. =
Maybe Terry can afford to do it for that price, but I can't.  By the =
same token, to do what Phil wants to do to that Howard will be in the =
$12,000 - $15,000 range. Maybe he can do it for much less, but I'm =
sorry, I personally can't justify charging that kind of money on that =
kind of instrument.=20

    Wim=20
     YOU DON'T HAVE TO JUSTIFY IT THE CLIENT DOES.=20
              You are operating  on really  good ethics and intentions =
(here it comes) BUT whereas I approach potential projects as you do =
there are cases where it is not my business to tell the client how to =
spend their money.=20
   I can advise them yes. If they understand that the outcome will be =
less than might be desired with no guarantees and they want to finish =
and string grandmas Betsy Ross spinet then the decision is whether we =
want to take on such a job or refer it. I may think it's dumb to do so  =
but my opinion doesn't count unless they like it.=20
    I recently  did a  very complete remanufacture on a 1905  ornate =
upright. Originally well made but completely dilapidated. I explained =
the realties as to worth and investment as you previously stated.  If =
the outcome can be assured and the client is not hung up on the =
investment argument, which Terry was talking about earlier), then A =
decision can be made. Hey you can fix any thing if you invest enough =
time and money.=20
     In this case the client got full belly package,case and veneer =
reconstruction , re- finish and new keys with ivory. Her beloved  =
Victorian upright and child hood friend restored. Don't sell emotional =
attachment down the river. What's the piano worth now? who cares if she =
doesn't and she got a really great outcome.  Value is ascribed in =
different ways by us all.=20
     My point is that  there are individual situations where the client =
will want to proceed after all our usual initial warnings of lack of =
financial feasibility, tonal outcomes and other prudent counsel.  =20
   It is our job to give good counsel but it really is the clients right =
to spend there money how they will . If we don't wish to take in a =
certain job that's our free choice. I hope you can see where I,m coming =
from.=20
   My Two Cents worth-Dale Erwin=20