Bridging the cap

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:48:07 -0500

I don't think it sounds uppity Wim.  At this early stage of my piano =
career, I simply do not have the luxury of turning down work. I have =
advised quite of few cheap grand and old upright and spinet owners that =
they should just chuck their piano - and most have proceeded with that =
course. But if they still want to go ahead with whatever work, as long =
as I am convinced that the piano will meet their expectations when the =
scope of tasks is completed, I will do anything. Doing partial work to a =
piano that is junk from top to bottom, I will not do - such as putting =
new hammers on the typical old upright - if the piano cannot be =
regulated, you can't sucessfully put new hammers on it - with situations =
such as that, even I draw the line short of those jobs.

Some day, like you and many others Wim, I will gladly turn down such =
work and recommend some talented newbie for the work and all will be =
happy! But until then, refer all those Howard and Aeolian micro-grand =
refurbish work to ME (Mason & Hamlins, Bosendorfers, and A.B. Chase also =
gladly accepted)!!!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 10:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Bridging the cap

  In a message dated 12/15/01 1:49:51 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I have done refurbishings on a couple family heirloom spinets for =
$2,000+ - refinish, refurbish action, etc. - make 'em look like new and =
play as good as they can - VERY happy customers.=20

  From my point of view, and perhaps there are others who have 20 plus =
years experience, when I find a piano such as an "heirloom" spinet, or =
Phil's Howard grand, I can't, in good conscious, recommend the customer =
spend the money I would need to charge to refurbish the piano. $2000 to =
refinish, restore the action, tune, regulate, etc., is just not enough. =
Maybe Terry can afford to do it for that price, but I can't.  By the =
same token, to do what Phil wants to do to that Howard will be in the =
$12,000 - $15,000 range. Maybe he can do it for much less, but I'm =
sorry, I personally can't justify charging that kind of money on that =
kind of instrument.=20

  There have been many times when I've turned down a job because I =
couldn't justify charging what it would take to "fix" the piano. But =
then found out later that the customer found someone who charged less, =
and made the customer happy. Perhaps what I should do in the future, =
instead of just turning down project like that, is find younger, less =
experienced technicians, but who do admirable work, to take on =
refurbishing these old relics. It give them the experience and money =
they need, and frees up my time to take on other project that I feel =
justified taking money for. Does that sound kind of "uppity?" Or are =
there other out there who feel the same say?=20

  Wim=20