Bridging the cap

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:44:15 EST

In a message dated 12/14/01 6:44:19 AM Central Standard Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com writes:

> Would re-capping the bridges bring that much better tone and
> sustain..and..for what reasons do you all re-cap bridges for in the first
> place?
>
> Always a curious roo(k),
> Phil

Phil

We're talking about a 4'10" Howard, right? Doing anything to small grand like
that will be an improvement. But you also have to take the cost involved into
consideration. Is the customer willing to pay the extra money to recap the
bridge, with no guarantee it will sound any better? In other words, it is not
worth it to rebuild the piano without recapping, and then start all over
again and cap it. How would you know the difference, (how will the customer
know the difference)? And if it is didn't sound any better, you can't go
back.

I would suggest you leave well enough alone, and just do the minimum.

Wim