Temperament, A pianist responds

Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:35:16 +0100

David Love wrote:

> [...]

I dont believe anyone did say that.  Getting to Beethovens, or anyone elses
musical heart simply means looking at his life and music in as much the same
context as he did. In this sense it is "correct" or "proper" to play his music
on instruments of his time, and using tuning schemes familiar to him. That says
in itself nothing about whether or not any particular music can be legitimately
played on modern instruments.

These periods of music we are talking about really are quite different musical
contexts. That means that before any talk of musical interpretation of origional
(authored) intent can be realized, a process of musical translation must first
be accomplished. To translate... you simply need to understand the origional
language and all its nuances as best as possible. To underestimate the
difficulty in this, or to believe that it is a simple matter of a common
notation that hasnt changed significantly in some hundreds of years is a
mistake.

If one does not take the effort to fully understand the origional contexts, then
one enters a world of a more free interpretation of music... ala the Keith
Jarrett example given. Which is ok too.  As long as we keep our peas seperated
from  our queues definitionwise as it were.

It seems to me that there is far more resistance on the part of those advocating
the use of modern instruments to the "legitimacy" of playing period music on
period instruments and temperaments... then the other way around.  No where do I
see advocates of the historical perspective saying anything else then to
underline the importance of maintaining this exact perspective. I see nothing
exclusive in their commentary whatsoever.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.