Cracked plate

Todd Mapes mapes_piano@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:20:51 -0600

Patrick,

Word from another technician who went through the same thing is that the =
liability insurance didn't help a bit. =20
He was told that If it wasn't his fault, then the liability insurance =
wouldn't pay (manufacturer's liability, not the tuner's), and if it was =
his fault, due to incompetence or negligence, that he wouldn't be =
covered, either.

Todd
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: J Patrick Draine=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 7:38 AM
  Subject: Re: Cracked plate

  On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:13 AM, Todd Mapes wrote:

    List,
    =20
    This week I experienced my first cracked plate.  It's not an =
experience I would like to have again. =20

  Dear Todd,
  The Boston Chapter had a technical presentation on plate repair by =
metal stitching for our November meeting. This is a process which I have =
heard of for a long time but never had a chance to speak with a =
practitioner of this procedure. It's for real, he's been fixing engine =
blocks, boilers, etc. for over 35 years, and a few piano plates too.
  During the Q&A period a new chapter member -- I forget his name, but =
he's a new engineer at Mason & Hamlin, worked for Baldwin in the past, =
etc. related his experiences with broken plates. His advice was to =
ALWAYS inspect the plate for any suggestions of instability; otherwise =
any small (or large) claims decision will undoubtedly go AGAINST the =
technician who is expert and "should know better".=20
  Bottom line: we should all have liability insurance.

  Patrick Draine