Cracked plate

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:49:42 EST

    Hello Todd,

     Sorry to hear about your customer,s plate breaking.
 I have had a lot of experence with this problem.  The
reason being is that I have had three good welders, who
over the last 40 years,  I have never had a failure with
plates that they have repaired. There are also other methods
of plate repair that I have had success with also.

    However  this is NOT your QUESTION. The article that
 Kent refered to does address your question.
    I have been called as a wittness in three lawsuits on this
subject. The technician won in each of them.
    The situation is  the technician (you) was called
and agreement was reached between you and your costumer
to tune his piano.  In the process HIS plate broke. Raising
pitch  IS a part of  PERFORMING the SERVICE that your
customer and you agreed to.
     My analogy in each case was the questions below.

1.    If you drove your car into a service station and asked
    the attendant to inflate YOUR  tires to the makers
    recommended  pressure of 35 lb. and one blew out in
    the process,   Was  that  the  ATTENDANTS  fault  ??

2.   If  then you drove down the street to another service station
    and asked the attendant to fill YOUR gas tank and in the process
    a hanger broke,   is that the  ATTENDANTS  fault ???

3.
   A.   The piano was designed to be tuned,

    B.   The piano was designed to be tuned to a
          gived pitch (A-440), Tuning pins were installed
          to be  used exclusively  to facilitate  this service.

    C.     Tuning levers were made to be used in performing
             this service.  YOUR CUSTOMER  ENTERED INTO AN
             agreement  TO HAVE THIS SERVICE PERFORMED
             WITH  AND  BY YOU. -------   HIS !!!!  PLATE  WAS
             FAULTY.

                 Whether  we want to or not , it is best that we live in
           the real world and deal with facts as they exist.
           No glitz, no spin, no smoke.  The words above are the facts
           If I can be of any help, fell free to call.

            Regards,
            Jack Wyatt