loose-pins

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:03:06 -0500

Hazen,

One problem I've had was knowing how much CA to use, and I'm still not
sure.  At a convention a guy said in a mini-technical presentation that
four drops for each tuning pin is enough.  I've also heard of those who
use three or four (2 ounce) bottles.  That's a lot of variation!

So my results have been mixed, depending on whose advice I followed.  At
the present time I am using one bottle, sometimes a little less.  I've
begun keeping better records at which pianos get how much, so I can
compare results more intelligently.  As of now it seems that one bottle
is sufficient.  I also suspect that the success depends somewhat on the
presence of gaps in the bushing surrounding the tuning pin.  If things
appear very tight there, CA would have greater difficulty getting to
where it can do the most good.

While I have had success in the past with Garfield's, I don't use it
anymore.

I had a better quality grand piano, 27 years old, with loose tuning
pins.  I really did not want to introduce any substance into the
pinblock, so I tried tapping a few pins deeper, just enough so they
moved.  That worked wonders.  I cannot detect anything in the feel while
tuning that would indicate there had ever been a problem.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT