Front Rail Felt Theory

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:00:50 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:41 PM
Subject: Front Rail Felt Theory

> What is the deal with front rail felt? All keys are about the same size
and
> travel about the same amount.

I guess you could do a "quick & dirty" change of touch, for someone who
wanted more or less aftertouch, by changing thickness of punchings.  Of
course, it's even quicker and dirtier to shim or un-shim the balance and/or
front rail(s).

>Why are there at least two different diameter
> felts and many different thicknesses available? I suppose some of the felt
> is even of various densities.  > First, why are there big diameter and
small diameter? Where are they used?
> Why?
I've seen the 7/8" used on grands, mostly -- why, I don't know.  Haven't
noticed much difference in density in punchings from the supply houses, but
some Asian pianos have a very soft, lighter green front punching.

> Thickness. You could always use thin felt and make up the difference with
> thick punchings. Do some pianists like thick felt for a nice cushy feel?
> Some like thin for a more firm feel? Sure is easier to be consistent with
> dip with the thinner felt. What is the deal here? Why use thick or thin?

I s'pose the thicker felt punchings would give a cushier feel, and the thin
ones a firmer feel, but the pianist would have to be really sensitive to
detect it.
The different thicknesses come in handy when you're replacing the felt
punchings only, but leaving the cardboard or when removing tall stacks of
cardboard and paper and replacing with felt, etc.
Other than that, I don't think it's all that critical or scientific, but
variety is handy, besides being the spice of options available in
rebuilding/regulating.    --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver