loose-pins

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:45:35 -0800

Hazen: I have had good results with thin CA glue.  For an upright you will have to lay the piano back on a tilter, then use about an entire bottle of glue, dribbling it in around the base of the pins until the glue stops going in - or you use up the bottle! Let it sit over night, then tune away. I have several clients with very elderly pianos for which this treatment has given the owners a few more years of life.  Of course, it doesn't do anything for the worn out action, cracked soundboard, and alligator hide finish.......
Patrick Poulson, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: HazenBannister@cs.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 4:28 PM
  Subject: loose-pins

  Hi list,
   I have to go to a new customer friday,with an old upright.He said he thinks it has some loose pins.I have used the pin tightener from Schaff, also have used over-sized pins, and have used sandpaper bushing ,as well as driving the pins.I was looking for
  maybe a new,or better idea.I have read about CA glue in the journal,and wondered what kinda results some of you may have had with it loose tuning pins.Also what
  kind of time are you looking at before tuning,after using this method.

  Thanks much,
  Hazen Bannister
  Western Carolinas Chapter