termites/moths/vermin?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:51:44 EST

pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi list,
>
> went on a call today to tune an old console. I have NEVER seen such a mess
> INSIDE! What almost looked like round pieces of chewed on dog food plied up
> on each end of the keybed, and much the same stuff on the bottom. The
> hammers were partially chewed up and ALL but the bass dampers were eaten
> away. The question is, what is it? I'm not sure if it's termintes, moths,
> mice or ALL three! So I have the action in my shop to replace the bad felt
> and file the hammers, but what can i do to keep the infestation from
> reccuring? Should i get moth balls, mouse traps and something to maybe
> spray
> on the felt to keep the termites away? I would REALLY appreciate any
> suggestions! thanks.
>
> Terry Peterson

Terry

I hope you're wearing gloves while repairing this action. At best, thoroughly
wash your hands afterwards. No telling what kind of germ are in this stuff.

Regardless of what kind of animal, check flange centers, damper spoon felts,
anything and everywhere there might be felt. Not just that it might have been
eaten, but also contaminated with urine and excrement.

The bottom line is that this might be much more of a repair than you
anticipated. Be sure to cover your hiney on this. Don't do more than what you
contracted for. You might wind up doing a lot for nothing.

Wim