termites/moths/vermin?

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:17:33 -0800

Hi list,

went on a call today to tune an old console. I have NEVER seen such a mess
INSIDE! What almost looked like round pieces of chewed on dog food plied up
on each end of the keybed, and much the same stuff on the bottom. The
hammers were partially chewed up and ALL but the bass dampers were eaten
away. The question is, what is it? I'm not sure if it's termintes, moths,
mice or ALL three! So I have the action in my shop to replace the bad felt
and file the hammers, but what can i do to keep the infestation from
reccuring? Should i get moth balls, mouse traps and something to maybe spray
on the felt to keep the termites away? I would REALLY appreciate any
suggestions! thanks.

Terry Peterson